There’s not much to shout about this dish, n it’s like a staple in our family menu nowadays. Previously during my late parents’ generation, we would get to eat this only on special occasions, such as birthday celebrations, all souls day (Ching Ming) n on Chinese new year. I remember during my visits to villages of Hainan Island decades ago, this would be a real celebrity dish. Together with firing of red crackers, this dish of Hainanese chicken rice would be symbolic of a grand welcome to the overseas visitors returning to the villages to build roads, opening up schools etc so home grown Hainanese chickens would be slaughtered for the praying alter to announce as Thanksgiving for visitors return.
Today, it’s quite an international dish cas chicken rice is being featured in Anthony Boudain NYC restaurant. Also, I’m dedicating this to my daughters stationed in San Francisco who may like to whip this up anytime they miss home cooked food.👩❤️💋👩
Chicken, broth, rice pair with veg
1) Prep chicken :- defreeze, clean by scraping away any hair on chick, cut away visible fats.
2) Essential ingredients would be chicken n ginger. Optional would be pandan leaves, garlic. For today, I added ginseng roots, red dates to enhance the soup.
3) Boil pot of water, add ginger, pandan leaves. When water is boiling, add in cleaned chicken slowly, breast facing down. Make sure chicken is fully covered. Throw all other ingredients for soup enhancing. Boil 1/2 hour each side. Use chopstick to poke through the thickest part (near drumstick). Once it pokes through, chicken is done.
4) After the chicken been taken out, rub salt onto the skin on both sides.
5) Let chicken cool b4 chopping. In the mean time prepare vegetables for a veg dish to pair with chicken on serving.
6) I had available from fridge, celery, red capsicum, shiitake mushrooms, black fungus and snap peas.
7) Stir fry vegetables using some chicken broth from boiling the chicken previously.
8) Fry veg in this sequence of some oil, garlic, black fungus, add chicken broth, shiitake mushrooms. Stir fry for 4 mins.
9) Veg dish ready to serve with chicken rice.
10) A balanced meal of rice (carbs), chicken (protein), veg (fibre + vitamins) n soup (nutritional fluid) is ready! Thats what i like about Hainanese chicken rice, its complete, balanced n wholesome. Let’s eat, can’t wait. Oh yeah!🎉🎉🎉