I’ve been longing to eat crispy sizzling savoury crêpe. It’s been a while since I made it. When I was living in Melbourne, whenever there’s occasions to celebrate or when I had visitors in town, the meal plan would be to Richmond to devour this delectable dish. I was also privileged to be under Ms Vy (The morning glory cookbook) who taught me a few Vietnamese gourmet dishes – one of which is this crispy Hoi An pancake.
1) Ingredients used :- I’ll class into a) for batter b) for fillers c) for dip.
A) ingredients for the batter – Typically it’ll be 1/2 cup long grain rice, 1/2 cup mung beans, 5 1/2 cups water, 1/4 TSP turmeric powder, 1/4 cup coconut cream n green parts spring onions (chopped finely). Since I have the banh xeo premix, I’ll just add coconut cream n spring onions. Here goes :-
Batter mixture ready for making crêpe.
B) ingredients for crêpe filling :- any combi of meat, seafood n veg could be used. Typically, pork belly sliced thinly, prawns, onions n carrots sliced thinly n bean sprouts are used as fillers inside the crêpe.
Ingredients for fillers in the crêpe
Pork sliced thinly
Pork marinated with salt, pepper n fish sauce. Prawns marinated with salt,pepper n abit of sugar.
C) ingredients for the dip – fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chopped garlic, chopped chilli
2) Almost there – c’mon – let’s just do it!
3) Oil pan lightly, fry onions, carrots n slices pork belly. Then add prawns.
4) Pour 2-3 tablespoon of batter. Since it’s a crêpe, so do a thin layer n spread it round the pan. When batter turns golden brown, add in handful of bean sprouts.
5) Fold crêpe into half – moon shape.
6) It’s done n ready, serve with lettuce, mint, coriander leaves. Since I have lettuce n romaine available from fridge, it’ll be with these only today.
7) To eat, cut the crêpe, n wrap with lettuce n dip into sauce. Viola – yummy! Gotta use hands, can’t be too dainty to enjoy this! 💃💃💃
8) You can serve as finger food, starters or as a main. Tonight, it’ll just be crêpe for us, about 3 servings each. To me, it’s quite a complete meal, with carbs (crêpe), protein (meat n prawns) n lots of vegetables for fibre. Pretty healthy too. Enjoy!!