Was invited to dine claypot rice in Chinatown 2 weeks ago, and I’ve been wanting to replicate that smokey, sizzling, munchy, sticky all in one pot of goodness. Here goes 💜💜🤗🤗 🐾🐾. :~
Boneless chicken thigh, Chinese sausages (lap cheung) shiitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, bokchoy and rice. I would use long grain rice (harder), but since I have only Jasmine at home, I’ll settle for that.
Marination for the chicken pieces include oyster sauce, fish sauce, light soya sauce, sesame oil and Chinese wine.
Dice the chicken, marinate with oyster sauce, fish sauce, and light soya sauce for at least half hour. Slice the Chinese sausages diagonally. Wash the Jasmine rice. Soak the shiitake mushrooms, cut out the stems and quarterize each mushroom into smaller bite size. Chop the garlic and ginger small. Wash the bokchoy.
1) In a wok, heat some oil, add in half of chopped ginger and garlic. Then add the sliced lap cheung. Fry till fragrant. Dish up.
2) In the same wok, now fry rest of chopped ginger and garlic till fragrant. Next add in the chicken cubes, fry till it turns white, half cooked. Dish up.
3) Using the same wok, now pour in the quarterized shiitake mushrooms with the water used for soaking. Let it simmer a bit and let the mushrooms expand further by soaking up the gravy left from frying the lap cheung and chicken pieces. Dish up only the mushrooms. Rest of the liquid remaining in the wok, use it for boiling the rice in a claypot.
4) Pour the liquid from the wok into the claypot containing the washed rice. If there’s not enough liquid, add a bit of water. Do not add too much else the rice would turn soggy. Depending on how much rice, you’ll add enough as if you’re cooking rice by absorption method.
5) Let the rice cook in the claypot, when almost dry, ie the liquid been absorbed by the rice grains, start to add in the mushrooms, lap cheung, chicken pieces.
6) Cover the lid, let it cook a few minutes more, then add in the bokchoy. Add in as much as you wish. Since it’s home setting and we prefer more fiber for health reasons, I’m adding a big bunch of bokchoy. 👏👏👏
7) Cover the lid once more for another few minutes. Off the fire, the claypot rice, all goodness in one pot is ready for serving. Enjoy! 💓💓