TGIF!😁😍… it’s been raining cats and dogs, Spotify is on… Son will be released soon from having to live 3 days in the jungle (part of army stint), what’s for dinner? It would be the old fashion stew, since I have both Marmite and Bovril and can’t decide between the two, shall add both to make a Marmite Bovril stew!🤔🤔
Just bought a packet of beef cubes from butcher John (Ang Mo Kio ave 4 market), 1 yellow onion, pumpkin, carrot, celery, garlic, 1 tablespoon Marmite and 1 tablespoon Bovril, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, rosemary, orange peel, cinnamon powder and 2 tablespoon of flour.
1) Today I’m using an iron casted pot because I had intentions of stewing the beef in an oven, but any pot will do.
2) Put some oil into the pot, brown the beef pieces to seal in the juice.
3) Once browned, add in 1 tablespoon of Marmite, fry the beef to infuse the Marmite in. When done, fry in half of the flour (1 tablespoon) to coat the beef slices.
4) Dish up the beef for use later.
5) In the same pot, caramelise the onions, garlic and ginger in the same oil.
6) In a bowl, add in 1 tablespoon of Bovril, add in water and also stir in the remaining flour. This will serve as beef stock since Bovril has elements of beef stock.
7) Note that I’m not adding any more salt as both Marmite and Bovril will contribute towards salty but adding sugared orange peel and balsamic vinegar to add sweetness and sourness to the broth. Pour in the mixture, and add in bay leaves and rosemary twigs with the browned beef into the pot.
8) Add in more water as needed to cover the beef. Once the gravy is boiling, you could at this stage, move the cast iron pot into the oven to brew the beef for 1 hour till soft. I decided against using the oven but will continue to simmer the beef stew on low fire over the stove.
9) After 1 hour on low fire, add in the carrots, simmer for half hour.
10) Taste the soup, if it’s too thick, add more water. Adjust with salt, sugar as wished. You may add in the cinnamon powder, and pepper for added flavor. Add in the pumpkin squash at this point.
11) Finally add in the celery. As I prefer both the pumpkin and celery to be crunchy, add them only at the last part. Let it simmer a bit.
12) Marmite Bovril beef stew is ready for serving. Let’s eat! 🍜🍜🍝